Saturday, June 6, 2009

4&5.) Rastafarian Formation,Pilgrimage, and Image.



The Rastafarian's even created their own English dialect also known as Iyaric. The Rastafarian's did not believe in the use of negative vocabulary. The use of negative or belittling vocabulary was a part of the Babylonian society. For emample: The use of me and my are replaced with I; “I man”. I represents their oneness with Jah or God. This is an important part of their system of symbols, separating themselves from society.
5.) Dreadlocks, another Rastafarian symbol, are now a hair style amongst popular culture. There are many theories as to why they are called “dreads” or “dreadlocks”. The one that seems most reasonable in terms of the Rastafari movement would be the Europeans expressing their dreadful feeling towards the hairstyle. The Rastas took this term and flipped it from having a negative connotation to a more positive one embracing their distinctiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment