Thursday, April 30, 2009

Augustine on Memorization


Augustine‘s method of memorization seems pretty effective. When I first read about his method of memorization I thought to myself, “Imagine memorizing the bible….. This dude must be crazy!” But now I can see where he is coming from: Memorize the bible so you’ll always have it in the back of your head so that in your future life experiences and interactions with people you will draw a connection a finally get to say “o0o I get it!”
I am a theatre/psych major, and I find it easy to apply Augustine’s method to memorization in terms of acting. Memorizing a script is no easy task. Every actor has a different memorization style. Some find a way to relate the script to personal experience in order to remember, some people just repeat lines over and over and over etc. When you are a part of a production, you have to understand all the different concepts, relationships, and the overall meaning within and beyond the actual script. Character building is one way to develop this understanding. Because you have already memorized the script, the process of character building is very helpful in performing the essence of that specific character. You are then able to connect the script, the character and yourself into the production. It’s a beautiful thing =)
Mr. Smith mentioned that Augustine wanted people to understand their position in the world while remaining open to new ideas and connecting to the world (correct me if I’m wrong). I feel like I can draw a connection between Mr. Smith’s interpretation of Augustine and an actor. A good actor knows how to shake it off after the performance. Just because you are now portraying the essence of this character does not mean you have to literally become the character. You still understand your position.
Side Note: After reading Ariana's blog and her buddhist quote, i found some interesting websites and blogs:
- http://beastorbuddha.com/2009/01/22/unauthorised-access-to-company-websitesinformationsystems/
Here is a meditation website too, it was some pretty sweet tunes:

2 comments:

  1. I liked your relation of Augustine's memorization to acting, I hadn't thought of thinking of that in terms of other things, but that does make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting. I think a "script" is a good way to approach religion. And perhaps by memorizing the Bible you are getting something like a script for life??

    ReplyDelete