Thursday, April 16, 2009

Random Blog


I will always remember rainy days when I was younger. I would say “Daddy I’m bored” and he would always reply “An idle mind is the devils workshop”. This scared the crap out of me. Every time he said this I would think, “O no I don’t want a little red man with horns screwing up my brain. What made the devil so powerful anyway?

I never really understood the relationship between God and the Devil. The only thing I knew from my parents teachings was that God is “good” and the devil is “bad”.
As I was sitting on the green yesterday with some friends =), a conversation on Christianity sparked. According to my friend, in the bible there is the story of the “fallen angel” or the devil (I believe the bible also refers to the devil as Lucifer, or Satan). Apparently, the devil was an angel in heaven before he became “the devil”. The devil was the angel of music and always tried to get beside him in gods kingdom; he wanted to take over.

I would never imagine the devil being an angel of God, and of music at that! My church always referrers to some rap or rock music as “devils music” which is funny to me because now I realize that it is actually the devils music. (That was corny) But anyway….. This is such an interesting topic for me because my parents would always try to instill this fear of the devil in me. This could have been for two reasons: 1) they both really didnt want me listening to rap music or 2) because he’s kind of like the rebellious teenager who decides he’s going to drop out of school and hitch hike across the country.

\Here is a pretty interesting link. It has many of the controversial themes in our society today in terms of the bible: http://www.religioustolerance.org/christ.htm

Here is a picture of the "Fallen Angel". This is a statue in Madrid:
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/49539.html

3 comments:

  1. ha! i'm sorry for your childhood trauma, but think it's pretty amusing. and after looking at the spanish statue, i kind of feel sorry for el angel caido!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing that in our society as children we are taught that everything is either good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story about the devil falling comes from an odd reading of Isaiah 14. It is a spectacular example of a mis-reading mis-understanding of a historical text that pointed to a specific situation.

    BTW, that statue of the fallen angel would look great in the blog itself. Just grab the URL for the image and then put it into the body of the blog using the photo button on your toolbar.

    ReplyDelete