Friday, April 24, 2009

Psalm 18 Follow up

Wednesday we discussed Psalm 18. I feel like many people who were involved in the class discussion pictured the speaker in a literal battle. I found this very interesting because as I was reading, I did not picture him being in an actual war or being physically rescued. I read it with a different perspective. The speaker was thanking God for rescuing him from himself.

The man before God saved him was “evil” and tried to dominate his spirit, and mind. This is also why I do not view god as “scary”. God, in this sense, is not defeating others because this man asked him to. God aids this man in defeating the “evil” man that he was before he turned into the holy man that he is in the present.

Also, Mr. Smith mentioned discussing the differences between having those who have a belief in a religion but remain open to new ideas vs. those who take on one religion and become hostile to the world around them. I found this interesting and it made me think about myself. Which do I take one and why? I would not consider myself a Christian, but, I do however keep the beliefs of Christianity in my mind. Before this question was brought up in the classroom I never understood why I did this. I realize now that I do it for perspective. I am open to new ideas and religions, but to keep me grounded and to have a better understanding of the world, I relate most things to the Christian perspective first, and compare and contrast based off of those teachings.

Side note: Today I really enjoyed our class discussion: drawing a connection between the movie happy feet and religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment