Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Psalm 2

I noticed a change in the meaning of the word “anointed.” In my opinion, this separates both contexts completely.

“Kings of the earth take their stand and princes conspire together against the LORD and against HIS anointed” (Alter, Verse 2). The rhythm of the Alter version seems to have a more violent connotation. The “I” is defending his land whereas in the Bay Psalms version, the “I” is claiming it with confidence; there is no need to be defensive.

The “I” in the Bay Psalms version is “the anointed” or the son of God. The fact that one is using “I” statements indicates a certain level of support, faith, and comfort. It kind of implicates that there is no longer this fear of war because we have in some ways found and appreciate ourselves. “But I anointed have my king up upon my holy hill” (Bay Psalm 2, verse 6). There is a sense of confidence and appreciation.

Not sure if this is going to be relevant, but there just some thoughts: Thinking in terms of the Old and New Testament: It seems logical to assume that the Alter version was written before the birth of Jesus (Old Testament) because the “I” is not yet defined. Whereas in the Bay Psalms version, it is clear who the “I” is. It was written connecting to the New Testament because Jesus was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment